Charlie

Charlie

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Flower pedals on the ground

Here in Oregon it seems like spring has come early. Flowers are blooming and the sun is shining. Our neighbors has a Chinese cherry blossom tree, and the flower pedals tend to blow in the wind. Yesterday Charlie and I were outside doing a little bit of yard work and soaking up the sun's rays when he noticed the pedals gently rolling down the street. He stood there going "OoOoOoO!!" and pointing to each pedal. He never did touch them, but would crouch down and would take a closer look at each one. You could tell he was examining each one as it rolled on by. Sometimes he would walk with it, and sometimes he would just sit there an watch it roll on by.

I love how it's the little things that he notices. I have never sat and watched the pedals from tree's roll down the street until I did it with Charlie. It was such a beautiful experience. It's the whole "Stop and smell the roses", I get so carried away with life and making sure that Charlie's day is the same with no changes, that I forget to stop and watch the pedals with him.

I really loved sitting on the side walk with him yesterday. Just Charlie and I watching the beautiful pink and white pedals, and smelling their lovely fragrance. For that moment in time I wasn't worried about a thing. I just let it all go and enjoyed the moment. I didn't think about what would happen if a loud car drove by, or if he would get obsessed. In the moment I forgot his downfalls as a little boy with Autism, and embraced his spirit as a little boy with special talents.

Yesterday taught me a lot about Charlie and who he is. He isn't a little boy with Autism. He isn't lost, or behind. It's the world that is lost and behind. Charlie is too smart for the world. He knows how to stop, and look at the little things, to take in each movement of the pedals and to let the beauty of it all take him in. Charlie is teaching us to slow down and take in each movement of our life, and is teaching us to let life take us in. Enjoy the beauty that is around us, and to "stop and smell the roses"

I can't wait for the summer to begin so Charlie can teach me even more about him.

4 comments:

  1. well written tess.... loved this one the most :) thanks for the reminder cuz i needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true. I have stopped and smelled them recently too. And everytime I do I say thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie sees the world and all its beauty. He does make you stop and take time for the little thing that as adults we forget. Grandpa and I just love to watch him doing whatever. He is so special.

    ReplyDelete